International workshop on projects in Dhaka
As part of the Project courses 7 and 8, the workshop directed by Luis Basabe (ud doc vicens) proposes a spring-term workshop dedicated to socially complex urban contexts in Bangladesh, including the direct confrontation with its housing reality in an intensive, three-week workshop at the prestigious BUET University – University of Dhaka.
The core part of the course will be the stay in Bangladesh, which will determine the rest of the semester. There we will work together with a group of architecture students from the BUET-University in the analysis and development of proposals for the degraded/eroded/corroded/broken down city surroundings/environment. As part of the current process of global urbanization, en Dhaka we will address some of the big challenges that the contemporary city faces, such as managing the overpopulation problem, the migration phenomenon and spatial reproduction of social and economic structures, global production networks (RMG sector), understanding the interrelation between rural and urban, vulnerability to natural disasters and environmental challenges, the definition of the informal processes of city production…
To do this, teachers and specialists in architecture and urban design in development contexts will accompany us. The group of teachers leading the workshop will include Almudena Cano, Mateo Fernández-Muro and Luis Basabe from ETSAM, and Shabbir Ahmed, Shayer Gafur and Labib Hossain from BUET.
|Faculty ETSAM:||Faculty BUET:|
|luis basabe montalvo||dr. shabbir ahmed|
|almudena cano piñeiro||dr. shayer gafur|
|mateo fernández muro||labib hossain|
ETSAM Course: February-May 2014
Stay in Dhaka: 06.02-28.02.2014
Nº of places: 15 students
Estimated cost: 1,700 EUR (incl. 200 EUR for workshop costs)
Application for a place: until 13.12.2013
Contact: Luis Basabe Montalvo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preferably Project 7 or Project 8 students at ETSAM.
- Excellent spoken and written English (it will be the working language in Bangladesh).
- Availability of time, willingness to engage in the workshop and take on organizational tasks from January onwards
- Substantial participation in funding the project (own travel plus stay, as well as the contribution of 200 EUR for general costs of the workshop)
- Good health: you will have to maintain a good pace of work in climatic and nutritive environment that is very different from Spain
- In the case that there are more people interested than there are places (we can take a maximum of 15 students) we will take into account your academic record, as well as looking at your international experience and cooperation in projects.